All the Kids

All the Kids

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Best Christmas Party Ever

We have had this Christmas party on our calendar for a while now.  It was not something we were really looking forward to since parties do not fit with our introverted selves.  But we knew it would be something the kids would enjoy.  It was a party for a local county's foster children, foster families, and birth families.  It would be a party where our mis-matched family would be the norm and the kids would feel like we were just like many other families in the room.  So we forced ourselves to go and guess what....it was the best Christmas party ever.

I was talking to our social worker when she pointed behind me and said, "There is your girl."  I had no idea what she meant so I turned around and there was one of the girls we had fostered this spring with the biggest smile on her face.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  I could not believe it.  I grabbed her up in a big hug and everything else going on at the party melted away.  All her siblings were there and it was such a surprise and a huge gift to be able to see them, to talk to them, to hug all of them.  I have no idea what all went on at the party or what the program consisted of because all I could do was to soak them in.  The baby had gotten so big and had so much hair!  He had teeth and could stand up now.  The five year old could not stop smiling and hugging us and Ellie and Jocelyn.  Just hearing her say my name again brought tears to my eyes.  The seven year old was somewhat reserved until Scott told her to come give him a hug.  She grabbed hold of him and I thought she was not going to let go.  Made us both cry.  Then my special one - the ten year old.  She was in my lap any time I sat and was hugging me and wanting my undivided attention.  She had all her news built up to tell me.  She was the least expressive when she lived with us but things were spilling out of her tonight. She even told me she missed us and wants to be able to visit us.  More tears.  At one point during the night, she started rubbing her cheeks and saying they hurt.  She has no idea it was because she was smiling so much.  It was an unexpected and incredible gift.  The kids are back with their family and they love their family and wanted to go home to their family.  I certainly do not want to give the impression that they wanted to stay with us.   I do, however, think they built another small, secondary family with us and that we all miss each other.  I could not ask for a gift that means any more to me than this night has.  My heart is full.

So many of you have asked about these kids the past few months and we have had no news because we have not been allowed to see them.  I knew you would enjoy hearing that we got to see them and getting a little update on them.  If you think about it, please pray the parents' hearts would soften and allow us a small place in the kids' lives.  I am sure it is hard to understand the bond you can build in such a short time with children who are not your own.  But trust me, there is a love there that is unexplainable.  We miss them every day, pray for them every day and care so much for them and their future.  It is a comfort to know that God loves them even more than we do.


This was our group on an outing this past spring.  Going anywhere was definitely an event!



No comments: